Wednesday 8 February 2017

Poor people don't deserve healthcare

Having grown up in England in the 90s, I had certain expectations from life. It was a given that my parents took me to the doctor and the dentist, and did not pay for these services. These were essentials, not luxuries. They seemed to me to be part and parcel of our Human Rights.

 What a shock then, to discover that this was not so in other places. When we moved abroad, I was exposed to a much crueler world. With the rising popularity of the internet in my late teenage years, I got to learn that in fact, many governments do not take care of their people. If you can't pay, you don't get treated.



What kind of b******t is that?

This struck me particularly hard when I spent around 9 months off work due to my endometriosis (for which there is no cure, by the way). I filled in extra forms to get doctors bills paid for, and was given an allowance that would cover 1 visit a month. I was actually seeing a doctor twice a week at one point.

That there are people out there who don't support free healthcare shocks me most of all. Do these people think they are immune from all of life's illnesses and accidents, waiting around the corner?

Despite being born disabled, when I was first signed off work I was in the best shape of my life. I was exercising 5 times a week, eating my greens, making my own smoothies. I was determined to make the most of my body.

It didn't stop something bad from growing inside me. No amount of green juice and vitamins guarantees health.

Should you ever have the opportunity to vote in free healthcare where you live, have a good long think about it, and vote yes.

Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment