Wednesday 10 August 2016

You have to fight for your right (to be diagnosed) : part one

Twice I have been in a situation where I have had to convince doctors that I have real physical pain, and that it's not just psychological. I'm not denying that your mental health can affect your physical health, but sometimes there really is just a physical problem that needs correcting.

When I was about 26, I started to get really awful pain in the back of both hips, along the area round about where your kidneys are. I had experienced this sort of pain before, generally in the winter, and it seemed that it was getting worse year on year. I had mostly ignored it. Applied hot water bottles to the area when necessary, took solpadeine, and tried not to exacerbate things.

In the end though, it got so bad that I had to go to the doctor, and they agreed that I should get some x-rays done. Before the x-rays, I met with a hospital doctor, who was dismissive when I tried to explain where the pain was. They basically said that there was no way I could have pain in those areas. But I had my referral and the x-rays went ahead.

Well. It was extremely satisfying to see the proof right there in red. The giant areas of inflammation, exactly where I said the pain was, that showed how my muscles were strained from my hip dyslpasia. It was also a bit shocking, as I had not realised that my condition was so bad.

After I got the proof I needed, I was handed over to a physiotherapist. She taught me specific exercises to do every day to strengthen certain muscles, and she also did some acupuncture to stimulate the muscles and ease the pain. Acupuncture is said to be painless. Well it's as painless as having giant needles stuck in your muscles can be. I also started to swim consistently, every week, something I still do now.

Getting someone to work with me on what I could do to ease my condition made such a big difference. It allowed me to manage my pain, and also allowed me to pursue new sporting activities that I previously would have avoided. I learnt to rollerskate, (I can also skate backwards!), and I took part in two 5k obstacle races. 

I would never say don't listen to a doctor. Mostly they know their stuff. But you know your own body, so don't just take what they say as doctrine either. Don't give up until you get the result that you need.

1 comment:

  1. Your courage and resilience have been rewarded. Enjoy the new job and remember they are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete