Sunday 22 May 2016

Considerably more tired than you

If you get the reference, props to you, if not, watch Harry Enfield and Chums. So many good laughs.

A common theme that runs through support groups for people with chronic illnesses, is that we're all damn exhausted. It doesn't matter what the illness is, if you have constant pain of any kind, the consensus is that you will be drained.

This annoys me no end. It used to be rare to have a day when I wasn't doing something after work, now even getting through regular chores and not working is enough to keep me tired out. For every day that I try to act as if I was still my old self, I have to pay for it with a day in bed.

As someone who is a bit in love with her bed, you might think it's not so much of a hardship. Well you'd be wrong. It's one thing to wake up and think "screw it, one more hour." It's quite another to slide out of bed on to the floor, needing to get up because you're so thirsty, but so tired that you barely feel alive.

Today I have spent at least half of the day in bed. There was just no point in being awake. I had no energy to focus on anything, and enough pain that sleep seemed like the better choice anyway. If anyone has any tips for energy, please share. I have caffeine immunity, so coffee, redbull etc does nothing for me. I know there are some debates on whether that's a real thing, but trust me it is. I can drink an espresso and be asleep an hour later, and that was the case even before I got ill.

To everyone out there sleeping more than they would like, I can only offer this prayer. May your beds be comfortable, and your sheets clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment