Monday 9 May 2016

Dating - now with new, trickier conversations.

Dating has been a tricky business since I became chronically in pain (on top of the chronic pain I already had). So now I have two pains to manage, and two boring explanations/descriptions to get through each time I meet someone.

When I first became ill, I had just started dating Mr Controlling. He basically decided that since I was ill, I should go and live with him, even though we barely knew each other. I broke up with him fairly sharpish.

Since then I've dated Mr Sweet, who I met in a coffee shop. He was training to be a nurse, so I felt he would have a great handle on the situation. Alas, he just had too much going on in his own life, and so we parted amicably.

After a period of mourning/mooching, I decided it was time to continue the search for someone to watch Community with and rub my stomach. (Among other things). And so I ventured onto the internet. The big question was, how much should I disclose up-front? Should I start with the fact that I was housebound for 1 day in every 2, or try to subtly allude to it? Or just not mention it altogether?

I decided not to mention it on my profile, because I didn't want it to be the focus of the first few chats (assuming that I had any interest). It would have to come up on the first date though. Oddly enough, I've mainly been contacted by guys 5 or so years younger than me. I must be putting out a youthful vibe...or a cougar one.

My first date was arranged with Mr Karate. 26, talkative, nice to look at. He took it well enough when I explained my condition, including the limit on how long I can stay out at any one time. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps my luck is changing?

No comments:

Post a Comment