Monday 16 May 2016

I wake up every morning, with a big smile on my face!

Actually I don't, but that is such a catchy song.

When I wake up, there are about 5 seconds where my brain does this:

"It appears you have a stomach ache today. Perhaps you are menstruating?"
"No brain, that's the same stomach pain I've had for a year, can you please get with it?"

That is honestly what happens, and it reminds me of something I learnt in a pain management class. Our brains have a fixed idea of what our bodies are like. If you lose a limb, the map in your brain doesn't change, it carries on as is your body is the same as it was. Hence phantom limb pain. Well it seems my brain is reluctant to accept this new reality.

I wake up every morning, and my abdomen hurts. Not actually my stomach. That's a common misunderstanding friends and family have. The stomach is on organ, and mine has been checked with a delightful gastroscopy. It's all good in there.

No, what I have is what is known in the medical community as "we're not really sure, and hopefully it will go away on its own."

For some reason, my nerves are just sending pain signals, all day, every day. So I don't wake up with a big smile on my face. But I get up, I have a cup of tea, and life is not so bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment