Monday 16 May 2016

Preparing for surgery

On the 23rd May I will be having a diagnostic laparoscopy and a cystoscopy.


 Laparoscopy is a surgery that uses a thin, lighted tube put through a cut (incision) in the belly to look at the abdominal organs or the female pelvic organs . Laparoscopy is used to find problems such as cysts, adhesions, fibroids , and infection. Tissue samples can be taken for biopsy through the tube (laparoscope).


Cystoscopy is a procedure that allows your doctor to examine the lining of your bladder and the tube that carries urine out of your body (urethra). A hollow tube (cystoscope) equipped with a lens is inserted into your urethra and slowly advanced into your bladder.

 I just had a rummage for any pictures to go with those descriptions, and I don't think there is actually one that I want to look at right now. Those few minutes of browsing have just scarred me. Surgical tools just look so damn horrific.

Today I had to go in for my assessment, to make sure I am a fit candidate and to avoid complications down the road.

All in all, I am still in good health, considering. My bloodwork is nice, my blood pressure remains perfect, resting pulse excellent. If it wasn't for the constant pain, I would be a truly excellent specimen. It's times like that I am grateful for all the chocolate I didn't eat, and all the exercise that I did. It's still paying dividends now.

 So all is well, and the surgery is set to go ahead. The only thing that is still freaking me out is the anesthetic. Being asleep whilst someone cuts me open is probably my deepest fear, a phobia if you will. One that I never thought I would actually face, or not until I was old and having my first hip replacement surgery.

I will do what I always do in such situations. Picture time skipping until the day after the surgery, when it's all over, and I'm telling everyone what a breeze it was, and people call me brave and give me sweets.





No comments:

Post a Comment