Sunday 15 May 2016

Things you should never say to someone with a chronic condition

People tend to be traditional when it comes to greetings and smalltalk. They have a certain set of phrases and they stick to them, often failing to recognise when these are not appropriate.

I've had my chronic abdominal pain now since spring 2015. It might have even started before then, and I just discounted it as random stomach aches. It's been constant and known about to all of my friends since the end of last year, when it reached full bloom.

However, people still say to me "I hope you feel better soon," or "I hope you get better soon," or something of that kind.

Well, by this point, I think we can all agree that I did not get better soon. Soon has passed. This might actually be me for a year, or ten years, or forever. So for people to keep saying they hope I get better...that's really a very unkind thing to say. You wouldn't say it to someone with a terminal illness right? (I certainly hope not!)

 What you can say to me is something along the lines of "How are you getting on? Do you need anything?" Basically, anything that isn't just ill-considered and a bit offensive. I understand people are kind and well-meaning, but as someone regularly in a lot of pain, my rage meter is getting quite full...





No comments:

Post a Comment