Friday 13 May 2016

Finding a new thing

So my life is not exactly the whirlwind of activity that it used to be. I can't go on stage at present, so there's a lot of time to fill that used to be given over to long rehearsals and script learning.

I have a few recipe books at home, mostly gifts, and though I have looked at them plenty I have almost never used them.

 This one, 500 vegan dishes, I have had for years. I can't even remember how I got it. Anyhow, I decided that I would actually attempt to start cooking some new things.

I am extremely lazy when it comes to cooking. I blame years without a long-term relationship. There's no one there to stop me from coming home and eating a crisp sandwich, and I have very little interest in food. Food for me is generally just something you have to get through in order that you don't die.

Not that I don't occasionally enjoy myself with food. A great bar of chocolate, an amazing stacked hummus and salad sandwich, but those times are definitely in the minority.

But I thought it was time to expand my repertoire a bit. I had attempted this before, but this time I am much more likely to be trapped at home with plenty of time to cook.

And so you will see to the right there my first attempt at making something I have never made before. Vegan French toast. Sugar, silken tofu, soya milk, nutmeg, sugar and way too much syrup for dressing.  And yes, it's white bread. Forbidden, lovely, delicious white bread. Full of salt and all kinds of bad things besides.

I know it does not look like a piece of art. It is not photo-ready. This is not instagram. It's something I cooked and ate, not to go up framed on a wall, and by gosh it was good. Though I should not have made a second round....slightly sick now.

No comments:

Post a Comment