Friday 20 May 2016

Falling in the street

Falling in public must be one of, if not THE MOST embarrassing thing you can do in public. Worse than farting.

I can't even remember the last time I fell before this. I was living in a blissful world where falling is something that happens in cartoons, or just to other people. I remember when I was really little, and my best friend fell in a play park and hurt herself. I burst into laughter. You can't help it. When people fall, it just comes out, it's a weird reaction that is hard to suppress.

So there I was, looking cool as always, when I felt it. My foot gave way on a slippery bit of grate, and I was going down. I managed to land on one hand, so avoided hitting the floor with my face (which did happen once when I was eight), and a sweet little girl nearby asked if I was ok. People around me were giving me that look, waiting for me to nod that I'm fine, ha ha ha, totally fine.

I brushed myself off and carried on, willing everyone around me to just stop looking. Stop looking at meeeee!

It wasn't until later that I realised I actually had hurt myself. My whole hip was aching from the impact with the unyielding pavement, and my hand still had gravel dents. But at least I was alive. Lisa 1, Pavement 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment