Wednesday 25 May 2016

I survived!

Monday was surgery day.

I felt ok, but then threw up when I was brushing my teeth, so I guess I was quite nervous. Actually I was so scared that I just did not allow myself to think about it at all. Just before they took me down, I was going to do a runner, and hide in a cupboard until I missed my slot.

Before then, I had to get checked in. Changed into a fetching hospital gown and a bizarre pair of see-through clown pants that did not fit no matter which way I turned them round. Tight on the bum and baggy on the front.

Plenty of people came to see me. At least two nurses, the surgeon, and the anesthetist. My blood pressure was checked, and they took some of my wee away to have a good nose at for the umpteenth time. All did their best to reassure me that there was virtually no risk of death, and that it would be over before I knew it.

Around 1.30pm I got taken down to theater. There I had a half hour wait, as another surgery over-ran, and my bladder became increasingly agitated. As I had my final wee before being taken into the fateful room, I thought, this is it, this is my last chance to run and hide in a cupboard. Alas, the nurse was waiting right outside to prevent any such departures.

And so I went in and lay down on a bed, surrounded by nurses and a bright looking trainee and the anesthetist. He said they were giving me something to chill me out, and injected something into my hand. And that is the last thing I remember.

For all my fears of not falling asleep, or waking up during the surgery, it was totally fine. They cut me open, stuck some cameras in, had a good poke about, and I was none the wiser.

Even better, they actually found something that may explain my chronic abdominal pain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment